Adelaide Horses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugging

+2
Ace Ventura
RhiBee
6 posters

Go down

Rugging Empty Rugging

Post  RhiBee Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:35 pm

I know us Australians are notorious for over rugging our horses... But in this weather I feel so much better knowing my boys and girls have at least a canvas on! Picked up a broodmare over the weekend who hadn't been rugged, and was coping quite well... But I chucked a lined canvas on anyway. What rugs are your horses in?
Cooper has a woollen underneath a 180g combo. Ash just has a 180g combo coz he is a fatty! Fuji is in a 180g combo but sometimes I stick a polar fleece underneath. She might be getting clipped soon too. Before shows I will use a canvas rug and hood. And Kira has Fuji's canvas until I can find her her own rug!
RhiBee
RhiBee
Yearling
Yearling

http://autourstud.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Rugging Empty Re: Rugging

Post  RhiBee Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Monty, my friend's horse is on the left, wearing Ash's 5'9" canvas!
Kira is second from left wearing Fuji's 6'3" canvas.
Cooper is up the top right wearing his own 6'3" combo and woollen under rug. (Fuji's combo is the same size and colour).
Ash is bottom right wearing his 5'9" combo, with a little tear in the bum!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RhiBee
RhiBee
Yearling
Yearling

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 am

I'm 1 that rugs heavy I'll admit but kip does like to be warm and dry
Kip generally has on either a fleece or doona with her 300grm combo rug and of course a summer and if really cold will add either a fleece neck rug or she will have both her fleece and doona on. Am I a bad mum? Lately thought she has been warm so she has less on with her no fill combo and her Saxon on top.
Ace I've tried to keep simple with a summer sheet, Saxon rug and fleece neck rug and I have just bought him a fleece rug and a nice axiom combo as he's grown out of his smaller rugs.
That is the rug bible Smile

Ace Ventura
Foal
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankinsteine Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 pm

At the moment my 2 are wearing Weatherbeeta Orican rugs, over rugging is worse than under rugging if they are cold they will move around to get warmer harder for them to cool off if they are over rugged, they should be luke warm when u check them as their body temps change alot through out the day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Frankinsteine on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a pic)
Frankinsteine
Frankinsteine
Weanling
Weanling

Back to top Go down

Post  RhiBee Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:11 pm

One really important thing I learnt about rugging is that if you stick your hand under the rugs, the horse should feel 'neutral' not hot!
RhiBee
RhiBee
Yearling
Yearling

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankinsteine Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 am

that is exactly right Rhi Smile
Frankinsteine
Frankinsteine
Weanling
Weanling

Back to top Go down

Post  RansomPark Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Honestly my thoughts are people peeve me off when they go on about over rugging horses. Yes fair enough some horses can cope however horses have been interbred and coats have been thinned.. it annoys me like nothing when people say everyone over rugs. I have a horse whom gets no coat on him whatsoever and he is already double combos- both with 220gm fill and he is still a bit chilly, in dead of winter he can have up to 4 rugs on at a time, then I have another one who needs just a simple rainsheet to keep the rain off. NEVER go around saying people overrug their horses because that's not fair and every horse is different Smile

RansomPark
Foal
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankinsteine Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 am

exactly every horse is different just rug accordingly to that horse
Frankinsteine
Frankinsteine
Weanling
Weanling

Back to top Go down

Post  RhiBee Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:04 am

Yeah my old boy Cooper needs more warmth in Winter than my other horses, I noticed this Summer he doesn't regulate his own body heat as well as he used to. My previous mare Belle would get very hot very quickly though!

My broodmare has decided that being rugged isn't the go anymore! Got a phone call from the property owner saying one of my horses was rugless. It was a brand new rug so thankfully she managed to get it off in one piece!
RhiBee
RhiBee
Yearling
Yearling

Back to top Go down

Post  JustAwesome Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 am

Montana just has a bib and a 300fill winter combo on
JustAwesome
JustAwesome
Weanling
Weanling

Back to top Go down

Post  BM-MW-J Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 am

william is wearing his medium fill combo- if it gets too much cooler he will have his canvas over the top, but he can get hot really quickly and if he is too cold he drops weight quickly.

Jax has a medium fill combo on, when it is a little cooler at night he will get a cotton on under it, but he is very fluffy so porbs wont need anything more.

Abraham has a lovely short coat and at the moment is wearing a cotton and a woolen lined canvas- he has a woolen set and a polar fleece set on order and a saxson stable rug to wear if he gets cold. but he seems to be happy with the cotton and the canvas.

BM-MW-J
Foal
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum